all of buffy → badass buffy
↪ "I’m going to kill them all. That ought to distract them."
In the mid-1930s, an Australian journalist visited Germany to report on the rise of fascism and interview Adolf Hitler. The atrocities she saw there, which included the public beating of Jews, forever changed the course of her young life. Nancy Wake, who died Sunday at age 98, would spend World War II fighting Nazism tooth and nail, saving thousands of Allied lives, winding up at the top of the Gestapo’s most-wanted list and ultimately receiving more decorations than any other servicewoman.
Wake made her way from Spain to Britain, where she convinced special agents to train her as a spy and guerilla operative. In April 1944 she parachuted into France to coordinate attacks on German troops and installations prior to the D-Day invasion, leading a band of 7,000 resistance fighters. In order to earn the esteem of the men under her command, she reportedly challenged them to drinking contests and would inevitably drink them under the table. But her fierceness alone may have won her enough respect: During the violent months preceding the liberation of Paris, Wake killed a German guard with a single karate chop to the neck, executed a women who had been spying for the Germans, shot her way out of roadblocks and biked 70 hours through perilous Nazi checkpoints to deliver radio codes for the Allies. (via)
I’m going to keep talking about this until you all buy her god damn biography. Because I don’t think you guys understand.
She was NUMBER ONE on the Gestapo’s most wanted list during the war. There was a 5 MILLION FRANC prize on her head.
They called her the White Mouse because of her skill for escaping certain death.
She was parachuting into a camp once and got tangled in a tree. A French soldier saw her flailing around and said, “I hope that all the trees in France bear such beautiful fruit this year.” She answered only, “Don’t give me that French shit.”
She would smuggle messages, food, and supplies in a supply truck and when she passed German posts she’d wink at the soldiers and say, “Do you want to search me?” They never did.
She found out at one point that her men had been hiding a female German spy, protecting her. The rule was to kill them, but the men didn’t have the heart. But Nancy Wake did. And she never regretted it.
When she killed a man with her bare hands, it was an SS sentry who’d spotted her and she killed him to prevent him from raising the alarm during the raid. She would later say of it, “They’d taught us this judo-chop stuff with the flat of the hand at SOE, and I practiced away at it. But this was the only time I used it - whack - and it killed him all right. I was really surprised.”
She died in 2011, 3 weeks before her 99th birthday.
If you don’t think Nancy Wake deserves a movie and a TV show and all the damn recognition in the world, you’re wrong.
Yaaassssssss can we get a movie? This is like inglorious bastards BUT REAL AND WITH A WOMAN
I’m not confused about the separation of gender identity (man/woman/etc) and sex (female/male/intersex). I mean, I also studied Feminism 101 which claims they are different i.e. that a trans woman still has a male body. So y’all don’t need to send me any more asks explaining the difference.
But what people are trying to say is that gender identity is ALSO biological. You can’t separate your genitals from your brain and claim one is “anatomy” and one isn’t. Your brain is part of your anatomy. Your brain is part of your biology.
So the point is, you can’t claim sex is biological but gender isn’t.
That is what the current discussion is about.
We’re all familiar with the old gender vs sex concept, this conversation is questioning the validity of that assertion. And I for one think it’s well worth our time as a community to rethink second wave feminist ideas we’ve all been conditioned with.
If trans women are telling us we need to redefine our ideas on sex and gender, we need to listen to them.
Why should a trans woman be forced to identify as a male?
Seems ridiculous to me.
Gail Simone, Wonder Woman: The Circle
What the fuck
Just remember. There is no such thing as a fake geek girl.
There are only fake geek boys.
Science fiction was invented by a woman.
Specifically a teenage girl. You know, someone who would be a part of the demographic that some of these boys are violently rejecting.
yo mary shelley wrote frankenstein in 1818 and isaac asimov was born in 1920 so you kinda get my point
#in love wit hthis post#except i think there’s a woman who came before shelley who inspired her???#i remember seeing a post like this but with that addendum and haven’t been able to find it again#i hope i can tho since she seems fascinating
YEAH SO STRAP IN MOTHERFUCKERS I’M ABOUT TO TELL YOU ABOUT MARGARET “MAD MADGE” CAVENDISH
- she wrote the first science-fiction novel, a century and a half before Frankenstein. It has bear-men and spider-men and ZOMBIE ARMIES and FISH-MEN WITH BOMBS.
- she was the first woman to publish her autobiography
- she was all into science and hung out with the Royal Society and was bros with Hobbes and Descartes
- she was super-shy but at the same time wanted to be super-famous (“though I cannot be Henry the Fifth, or Charles the Second; yet, I will endeavour to be, Margaret the First: and, though I have neither Power, Time nor Occasion, to be a great Conqueror, like Alexander, or Cesar; yet, rather than not be Mistress of a World, since Fortune and the Fates would give me none, I have made One of my own”) and she wore CRAZY OUTFITS and Samuel Pepys was all like “I SAW THE DUCHESS OF NEWCASTLE TODAY YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE THE CRAZY SHIT SHE WAS WEARING SHE’S REALLY HOT THO”
- she wrote a TON of stuff, poetry and drama and natural philosophy and a lot of it wasn’t that good because she wasn’t educated and some people thought she was a nutcase for being a WOMAN who WROTE THINGS but she just COULD NOT STOP WRITING
- this passage: “but of the second rank are for the most part those we call Insects, whose production proceds from such causes as have no conformity or likeness with their produced Effects; as for example, Maggots bred out of Cheese, and several others generated out of Earth, Water, and the like. But said the Empress, there is some likeness between Maggots and Cheese; for Cheese has no blood, nor Maggots neither; besides, they have almost the same taste which Cheese has. This proves nothing, answered they; for Maggots have a visible, local, progressive motion, which Cheese hath not. The Empress replied, That when all the Cheese was turned into Maggots, it might be said to have local, progressive motion. They answered, That when the Cheese by its own figurative motions was changed into Maggots, it was no more Cheese”
- I know I’m forgetting more awesome stuff about her but tl;dr SHE WAS AWESOME
This post got better.
*e* Also jesus christ dear dude who said Issac Asimov: Asimov wasn’t even the first MALE science fiction writer, you ever fucking heard of HG Wells and Jules Verne? Edgar Allan Poe? And these two ladies predated them all and inspired them all. Chriiiist. If you’re going to attempt to mansplain at least fucking know your genre. Fucking fake geek boys, get off my motherfucking lawn.
(chuckle) Madge was a trip. I can just see her off in a corner of Heaven somewhere with Hypatia and all the FRS science bros, blowing things up.
FOREVER REBLOG MARGARET CAVENDISH
Black Women in Sci-Fi Playing Women [and not aliens or mystical priestesses] Part 3
These lovely ladies are:
- Lt. Anastasia ‘Dee’ Dualla from Battlestar Galactica played by Kandyse McClure
- Helen from Cleopatra 2525 played by Gina Torres
- Jess from Misfits played by Karla Crowe
- Lily Sloan from Star Trek: First Contact played by Alfre Woodard
- Mrs. Frederics from Warehouse 13 played by C. C. H. Pounder
- Nikki from Misfits played by Ruth Negga
- Original Cindy from Dark Angel played by Valarie Rae Miller
- Rona from Buffy played by Indigo
- Sasha from The Walking Dead played by Sonequa Martin-Green
- Zulu from Conan the Destroyer played by Grace Jones
Someone with an IP address sourcing to the House of Representatives just edited the Orange Is the New Black Wikipedia page with the telling summary of “not a woman.”
That’s right, this Congressman edited out a sentence hailing the show for including “the first ever women-in-prison narrative to be played by a real transgender woman.” What did he replace it with? Hate speech.
The Congressman called Cox a “man pretending to be a woman,” and linked to an offensive article by National Review Online aptly titled “Laverne Cox Is Not a Woman.”
The change has since been reversed and the IP address has been banned from editing Wikipedia for a month, but you can see the original edit he made in the link above.
The change was spotted by a Twitter bot which tweets out links any time a Congressional IP address edits Wikipedia.
Spread this like wildfire.
Good to see our elected officials are hard at work!!! :)))))